The Market Elevator was inaugurated in 2001 and connects Rua Olímpio Nicolau Rui Fernandes (next to the D. Pedro V Municipal Market) to Rua Padre António Vieira, in a mixed route consisting of a vertical elevator in the first 20m and by a sloping lift to the top, at 51m. It is a fundamental structure for the displacement of people between the Lower Coimbra and Alta, due to its strategic location.
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Saturday: 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sunday and holiday: 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
1. "Historical Center" card
To whom it is intended: All residents registered and residing in Alta (see note) can travel for free at the Market Elevator, upon presentation to the attendants, of the Special Social Pass "Historical Center", having as support the personalized Coimbra ConVIDA card, issued by SMTUC, costing € 6.00, free of charge and valid for 12 months from the date of loading of the respective support card.
Documentation required: To issue and customize the respective access card, it is necessary to present at the SMTUC store (near the base of the Market Elevator):
→ A statement from the Parish Council certifying the census and residence in the
zone of attribution of the Special Social Pass "Historic Center";
→ The identification document;
→ The taxpayer card to issue a receipt for tax purposes.
Note: The residents of the following parishes are considered residents and registered in the Alta:
- Almedina Parish Council, with the boundaries of Couraça de Lisboa, Rua da Estrela, Rua Fernandes Tomás, Rua de Ripas, Rua de São João, Rua de São Pedro and Rua da Alegria (until no. 99);
- Junta de Parish of the New Cathedral, having as limit the Courage of the Apostles. Also included is Padre António Vieira Street from the confluence of the Apostles' Cuirass to the Municipal Police Building (No. 10A inclusive);
- São Bartolomeu Parish Council but only residents of Rua do Colégio Novo;
2. Other valid transport tickets
Todos os restantes munícipes não abrangidos pelo cartão “Centro Histórico” continuam a ter acesso ao Elevador mediante a validação de um título de transporte válido (Pré-comprados, passes sociais constantes do tarifário em vigor à data ou Bilhete de Bordo adquirido na Loja SMTUC do Mercado).
O título de transporte deve ser sempre validado junto do equipamento portátil do ascensorista.
- The Special Social Pass "Historic Center" allows access to the Market Elevator and the Blue Line.
- Residents on the streets limit are also considered as belonging to the allocation zone.